Pages

Banana Bread Part III

This is the third banana bread recipe on this blog.  You might assume my family has an unnatural fixation with the stuff.  I have nothing against the other two recipes but I have to say when I tasted the banana bread of the following recipe, I knew I found the one my family would like.

It came to me via a friend and colleague, Lisa who, years ago, was the Principal during summer school.  She treated her staff to some of her homemade banana bread.  Her recipe was based on one found in the Pike and Embarrass Lutheran Churchwoman Cookbook.  (That's right...authentic Lutheran baked goods!) The cookbook credited Mrs Arvo Koski as the contributor.

Makes 1 9 x 5 inch loaf

Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups sifted flour (240 grams)
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • ½ tsp baking soda
-------
    • 1 cup sugar
    • ½ cup butter
    • ½ tsp vanilla extract
    • ¼ tsp banana flavoring
    -------
    • 1 - 1¼ cup (about 2 - 3) ripe bananas (mashed).
    • 2 unbeaten eggs
    • ½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
    -------
    • 1 Tbls Sugar
    Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350° F
    2. Oil and flour a bread pan
    3. Sift together the 4 dry ingredients and set aside.
    4. Mix the sugar, butter, vanilla and banana flavoring into the dry ingredients.
    5. Stir in mashed bananas, eggs, and optional chocolate chips.
    6. Pour into loaf pan
    7. Sprinkle sugar on top surface of batter
    8. Bake for 1 - 1¼ hours
    9. Cool before slicing if you can wait that long.

    No comments: